Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Back from La La Land

I went, I saw, and I remembered why we moved from Southern California to the wilds of Northern Utah. Too many people! They were everywhere. Like little ants moving through the tunnels. My 4 daughters were in awe. Everything they saw was a new adventure for them to explore. They loved the Beach. They got to know Jack in the Box Hamburgers, they strolled the boardwalk at Knotts Berry farm and got too used to cable TV in the Hotel! My daughters learned quickly that their cousins who live in Southern CA have quite a different 'lifestyle' than we do. It's faster, it's more modern. It's CRAZY!

But, it was good.

I took my daughters down a trip through memory lane. We saw the home I grew up in - which my family no longer owns. We got permission from the new owner to take a slip off the my magnolia tree. My late father planted that tree, and I would give all to smell it's sweet fragrance again. It reminds me of him, and how much I miss him. I took the girls to see where the grandfather they never met, rests. We shed a tear or two and moved on. Now, my niece is married, we've eaten cake and have returned to our quiet, 'normal' life back in Utah.

Obama has now submitted the name of a Hispanic woman for USSCJ. I have Hispanic children - daughters, at that! But I can't help but feel that we have gotten carried away with our identity politics. Why can't we just achieve greatness because we have it in us? Why must we be the first this, or the first that? I have worked in male dominated careers. I never once thought I was there as the token female. I was there because I was qualified, and did the job just as well as the men I stood beside. We GOP are falling into this same trap. Gotta have a woman. Gotta have a person of color. Gotta have a purple toe nail or a tattoo in the shape of a fish. How about picking someone because they are QUALIFIED?

Go forth, and have a great day.

www.cafepress.com/usateaparty2009 or www.Zazzle.com/usateaparty2009

No comments:

Post a Comment